Topic 4

This week’s reading revolved around OER’s. I agree that open learning does not subject to any grading matrix, thus a perfect platform to implement innovative study resources to solely focusing on the learning of students. The author describes the 5R’s characteristics good OER resources would have. Overall. There is a great shortage of unlicensed and open source materials for students to participate in open learning. The author suggests the concept of renewable assignments – This is the kind of assignment that has greater potential than just being a tool for grading students. Renewable assignments not only expand students’ knowledge but also provides quality educational materials for future students.

I do agree that having an assignment to dispose of immediately after grading is wasteful and unsustainable. Not only it’s a waste of physical resources, but it also doesn’t provide a reliable platform the students can go back to review. Therefore, I believe assignments should be designed in such a way that allows students to showcase their work in an employment environment and be able to recite in the future. However, I do not completely agree with the suggested methods that create OER’s. First of all. Resources produced through such a procedure are unregulated and not strictly peer-reviewed. Therefore misinformation could easily happen and affects the education of a future generation of students. Secondly, I think it’s unethical and inequality to mandate students to do extra work to produce educational materials, or reward students who are willing to participate with extra credits or rewards. As students should not be obligated to participate in such events for any extra benefits. The creation of renewable assignments should be completely voluntary and outside of the educational system.

Ultimately, I think that although OER’s are limited by their non-profit and charity-like nature. It should still only be produced by educational experts but not mere students.