Topic 2 Discussion

After the readings, I was amazed by how ‘ancient’ the concept of open learning was. I think the model of Open Classrooms in the UK gives an immense contribution to the community. It also enhances the education level of the citizens by offering accessible resources. Those two factors show the advancement in the quality of life of a nation. However, when reading this, I asked myself whether or not a public library is considered open learning. If so, open learning would trace back even further. Moreover, the bulletin boards system reminds me of hardware called wikireader, which alongside Wikipedia, would be a revolutionary open learning platform. Nevertheless, looking at the BBS, I find it lacks any means of cybersecurity measures which was the focus of topic 1.

I agree that digital learning is much more convenient than on-site learning from multiple perspectives. First of all, with resources accessible anywhere and anytime, students have more flexibility in their study style. International students can study in the comfort of their hometown and with their families. They don’t have to worry about commuting to school or being in another time zone. Furthermore, many students experience anxieties sitting in a massive classroom with hundreds of other students. Students who are prone to sensory overload might find other’s chitchat triggering and hard to focus on school work. A more stressed free environment can boost the engagement of a student.

However, the environment could be ‘too comfortable’. It’s easier to violate academic integrity when tests are online while students have access to the internet. It’s easier for students to communicate with each other or searching for answers on illegal websites when no one is monitoring them. Reflecting on my own experience, I received numerous advertisements for personal tutors who will do one’s assignments and exams for them. And observing my test and finals environment, there are no mandatory cameras, although for good reasons. So it’s incredibly simple for someone utterly does my exams for me and submit. This brings an imbalance in the grading system and creates a negative effect among students.